I wouldn’t say this is a web tool, but it could certainly come in handy for those who want to use web tools anywhere they can get a cell phone connection!
By now, I’m sure most people are aware that you can connect your laptop to the internet through your cell phone. However, if you’re like I was a couple of hours ago, you don’t know how. It’s really not too bad to do, unless you run into problems.
What you need:
- Cell Phone
- USB Cable (you can use bluetooth as well)
- Not required, but nearly essential: Unlimited data plan (otherwise you’ll rack up HUGE charges)
Here’s a step-by-step for what I did:
- Disable EVDO on your phone. Basically, your phone constantly checks two different types of connections, and you’re disabling one of them. By doing this, you shouldn’t see any difference in your phone’s connection, but you will be able to use your phone as a modem and you will actually get better battery life on your phone. To disable EVDO, use this guide.
- Make sure your Phone is in “Modem/COM” mode. From the main menu, go to Settings -> Connection -> USB Settings. Make sure Default: is set to “Modem/COM.”
- Connect your cell phone to your laptop with the USB cable. Your computer should automatically recognize it and install the proper drivers. (Note: Make sure that whenever you do this, you plug it in the same USB port [otherwise it will want to install drivers for each port].)
- Open the Device Manager from the Control Panel. Under “Modems,” make sure that you see your phone there (it’ll say something with Motorola in it). If it’s not there, you’re missing some driver. Check out the guides and downloads at HackTheRazr.
- If you see your phone under “Modems,” you’re almost there! Follow the following steps to create a new network connection through your phone:
- Create a new network connection (from the menu in the Network and Sharing Center in Vista or somewhere in the control panel in XP)
- Choose “Set up a dial-up connection.”
- For the dial-up phone number, put in #777. Leave the username & password blank. Give your connection name a name of whatever you want. Click connect.
- BAM. You should be able to use the internet now.